Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Billionaires & Turbines

In case you don't know, watching a stock go up and down in real time is a lot more exciting when you have money invested in the stock. That may sound like an obvious statement, but it really is surprising just how much more exciting it is. It's like the difference between licking an ice-cream cone you're holding in your hand and licking yourself if you were a giant ice-cream cone. It just tastes so much better the more you have invested in the process.



Now, the particular stock I've been drooling over is General Electric(GE). After buying GE at 19.98 a share it has been slowly going up (or quickly...what do I know about the pace of stock growth...I'm new at this), currently resting a little short of +1.00 a share since I bought in. Yey! My thinking behind investing in GE was based on two things: rich people and over-populated counties.

For starters, Warren Buffet invested billions in GE. Billions! Granted that was in late 2008, during GE's lowest point of the last decade, but it made a point. That point is "GE is the symbol of American business to the world". Which means, at least to me, that if GE can't succeed, then American business is fucked. And I still believe in American business as a whole.

The second key factor for me was GE's winning of a record $750,000,000 turbine order for Reliance Power Plant in India. The discovery of natural gas in the Krishna-Godavari basin by Reliance in 2002 has helped India boost gas output at the fastest pace in the world.  Considering all that, and the fact that GE's equipment generates about one-third of the world's electricity, I figured they were a good, solid first investment.

I'm now searching for a second investment and beyond, which in turn has me finding myself figuring out how to save more money, so I can invest more money. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not looking to gamble every last penny that I can scrounge up on the stock market...just enough to invest on the most recent stock burning my eyes every time I look at it's ticker.

No comments:

Post a Comment